Cisco is forecasting that global IP traffic will increase 4.3 times by 2014 and that video will be the primary driver, accounting for 91% of traffic by 2014.
Cisco has released its annual Visual Networking Index forecast, a model based on analyst projections and data collected from Cisco consumers.Video dominance is mainly driven by:
- the growing penetration of broadband
- the increasing screen space and resolution on mobile and consumer devices
- the proliferation of network-enabled devices
- the increase in power and speed of computing devices
- the growth of HD Video, specifically Cable HD VOD